4.13.2006

the world's attic

So I've decided that John Steinbeck is one of my favorite authors. I hesitate to say my most favorite, but I do love to read what he writes. This is a quote from The Winter of Our Discontent that has stuck with me, so I thought I would share:

I guess we're all, or most of us, the wards of that nineteenth-century science which denied existence to anything it could not measure or explain. The things we couldn't explain went right on but surely not with our blessing. We did not see what we couldn't explain, and meanwhile a great part of the world was abandoned to children, insane people, fools, and mystics, who were more interested in what is then in why it is. So many old and lovely things are stored in the world's attic, because we don't want them around and we don't dare throw them out.


Thoughts anyone?

4 comments:

  1. I guess I would have to say that I was first introduced to Steinbeck in High School. We were forced to read Of Mice and Men and watch the movie The Grapes of Wrath. I would have to say that I hated both, but I'd also admit that I didn't pay any attention to the latter narrative.

    Since that time I have learned many things about John and his style of writing. He was able to watch the world changing around him and reflect on it. The word that comes to my mind is that he was an adult-children’s literature writer. I also think that the only way to explain that is through an analogy.

    Many children's books are written with an idea to get across. In many cases, that idea is a moral. They tend to be simple and obvious. Most children can understand them without any level of thought at all.
    Steinbeck wrote at a level far above that. His books entailed a philosophy of life. His message was meant to be read deep and to be intertwined within the hearts of his readers, much like modern Christian writers. (Which he was one, if you didn't know?) He lived though a period were the world saw a drastic change, a shift on its foundation, and he wanted to alert the minds of those around him. He didn't say, "Don't run with scissors, cause you'll poke your eye out.", he said, "Look around! Open your heart! Grab ahold of what’s important! Don't let the fools steal away what’s important to you! Life flows!".

    So I learned and I've changed my view on him. In fact he has a few books I'd like to read: East of Eden and Cannery Row.

    Hmmm. I wonder what kind of etiquette is required when replying to a blog. Are they supposed to be short and concise? Should they be no longer than the original post? Perhaps I should have just left a quick comment. Oh, well. That'll teach to end your post with "Thoughts anyone?"

    Oh well,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. definition for adult-children’s literature writer would be a moral-giving work written for the mind of an adult

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read much Steinbeck but I love that quote. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessi you said you wanted to hang out more but then you never call or write or do anything with me.





    P.s. He still isn't that great of an actor!

    ReplyDelete