12.11.2008

I’ve been reading 1 John lately. I think it my favorite book of the entire Bible, if such a thing can exist. It has such heart-piercing statements as “Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did” and “No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.” And then the heart-changing statements like “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love” and then “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in Him?”

He challenges us to love others, because if we do not love our brothers, who we can see, touch, hear feel, then how will we ever be able to love God, who we cannot see, touch hear feel (in the typical sense)?

I have realized lately that I suck at loving people. Which is a scary thought, because if I can’t love people how will I ever love God? I have heard it said that to truly love someone you must fully know them. Well then is it ever possible to love God, because I most certainly will never fully know him.

I guess there will have to be more on this later...

2 comments:

  1. I love you Jessi, and I've always thought of you as one of the most loving people I know. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you're writing about this...it was good talking about it with you. I think that God's doing some huge things in you and I'm so excited for that...Getting to know God isn't a destination...it's a journey. I don't think it ever ends, so not ever fully knowing Him seems to be part of the point. He's just that big. I think that you love people a lot better than you give yourself credit for. But...humility isn't a problem :)

    ReplyDelete